https://www.gastro-curious.com/content/uploads/garbanzo.jpg 600 600 Jamie Kelly https://gastro-curious.com/content/uploads/gastro-curious-340.png Jamie Kelly2015-06-27 18:43:192022-07-11 14:58:24Potaje de Garbanzos
Potaje de Garbanzos
Potaje de Garbanzos
Servings: 4 people
- 1 lb Fabada meats (spanish chorizo, Serrano ham, and Morcilla blood sausage)
- 3 Tbl olive oil, divided
- 1 onion
- 1/2 leek
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 Tbl minced garlic
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 1/4 C flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbl pimentón
- 23 oz canned/jarred cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1 French Baguette
Mise en place
- Small dice onion, leek, and pepper; combine in a prep bowl.
- Small chop the Serrano ham and slice the sausages into bite-sized coins, separate the morcilla pieces from the others.
- Chop parsley.
- Cook and dice the hard boiled eggs.
- In a large stockpot, Sweat vegetables with 1 Tbl olive oil for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add minced garlic, chorizo, and Serrano ham. Sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the meats are tender (about 15 minutes).
- In a small sauté pan, heat 2 Tbl of olive oil to make a refrito by poaching the parsley in the oil for 20 seconds then add the pimentón and stir for 5 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the refrito immediately to the stew and stir.
- Add cooked garbanzo beans and morcilla. Simmer to reduce the liquid and soften the beans.
- Remove from heat, stir in the chopped boiled eggs, and serve.
- Ladle in shallow bowls and serve with crusty baguette.
If time permits, preparing dried garbanzo beans is preferable but good-quality, no-salt-added, canned beans are a close second. Jamie Kelly is an American marketing professional turned gastronaut. She is eating her way through a full-spectrum exploration of food culture in Spanish-speaking lands and staging ambitious re-enactments of her finds in her own kitchen. To join the expedition, follow at FB: gastro-curious, IG: jamie_gastrocurious and www.gastro-curious.com.