https://www.gastro-curious.com/content/uploads/Salsa-verde-pasta-small.jpg 1000 1000 Jamie Kelly https://gastro-curious.com/content/uploads/gastro-curious-340.png Jamie Kelly2015-04-08 11:00:362022-07-11 14:58:24Pasta with Clams or Fish in Salsa Verde
Pasta with Clams or Fish in Salsa Verde
Mise en place
- Mince garlic
- Chop the parsley leaves, discarding stems
- Wash and purge clams, if using
- Set a large covered pot of salted water on high heat to bring to a boil for the pasta.
- Heat oil in large saute pan over low heat
- Add garlic. Saute until the garlic floats in the oil. Do not let it brown.
- Add parsley and stir, cooking for 20 seconds.
- Sprinkle the flour across the pan and stir, making a thick paste (roux) and cooking for 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and stir to incorporate and cook off the alcohol.
- Add fish stock, a cup at a time to incorporate the paste without lumps.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and let simmer.
- Place pasta in the boiling water stirring to break up clumps. Cook according to package directions.
- Place the clams or fish into the simmering sauce for 5-10 minutes. If using clams, covering the pan will speed the opening process. Discard any unopened clams.
- Using tongs, pull the al dente pasta from the water and put it into the sauce pan to cover with sauce.
- Place pasta in shallow bowls. Top with 4-5 clams or 6 ounces of fish per person and ladle salsa verde over the pasta. Serve with french baguette to sop up the salsa.
- Consider adding quartered hard boiled eggs and peas to the sauce - the Basque way!
- Pasta is truly optional, but it stretches the seafood farther and makes a satisfying meal.