https://www.gastro-curious.com/content/uploads/IMG_6035.jpg 600 600 Jamie Kelly https://gastro-curious.com/content/uploads/gastro-curious-340.png Jamie Kelly2015-06-30 13:14:592022-07-11 14:58:23Verdolagas en Salsa Verde con Carne de Cerdo (Purslane in green sauce with pork)
Verdolagas en Salsa Verde con Carne de Cerdo (Purslane in green sauce with pork)
Verdolagas en salsa verde con carne de cerdo
Servings: 4 servings
- 900 g verdolagas, thick stems removed and washed Check your Mexican and Middle Eastern markets from late Summer through Fall.
- 1 Kg port shoulder or butt
- 40 g salt
- 15 ml olive oil
- ½ kg tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 4 Serrano chiles, halved
- ½ onion
- 6 g minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 500 ml beef stock
- salt and pepper to taste
Mise en place
- Clean the verdolagas removing thick stems.
- Trim the pork, cut into palm-sized pieces, and salt liberally on all sides
- In a blender process the tomatillos, onion, garlic, chile, and cilantro on high speed until smooth.
- In a deep dutch oven or stew pot, sear the pork to brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Pour the sauce in the hot pan to deglaze the fond from the surface.
- Add the broth to the pan and place the meat back into the liquid. Seal tightly and simmer on medium-low for 1 hour.
- When the meat begins to pull apart, add the verdolagas. Cook until meat is easily pulled apart with a fork (about 30 min.)
Serve the stew in a bowl with black beans and flour tortillas grilled "ribeadades." Jamie Kelly is an American marketing professional turned gastronaut. She is eating her way through a full-spectrum exploration of food culture in Spanish-speaking lands and staging ambitious re-enactments of her finds in her own kitchen. To join the expedition, follow at FB: gastro-curious, IG: jamie_gastrocurious and www.gastro-curious.com.