https://www.gastro-curious.com/content/uploads/IMG_6035.jpg 600 600 Jamie Kelly https://gastro-curious.com/content/uploads/gastro-curious-340.png Jamie Kelly2015-06-30 13:14:592022-07-11 14:58:23Verdolagas en Salsa Verde con Carne de Cerdo (Purslane in green sauce with pork)
Verdolagas en salsa verde con carne de cerdo
Servings: 4 servings
- 900 g verdolagas, thick stems removed and washed Check your Mexican and Middle Eastern markets from late Summer through Fall.
- 1 Kg port shoulder or butt
- 40 g salt
- 15 ml olive oil
- ½ kg tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 4 Serrano chiles, halved
- ½ onion
- 6 g minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 500 ml beef stock
- salt and pepper to taste
Mise en place
- Clean the verdolagas removing thick stems.
- Trim the pork, cut into palm-sized pieces, and salt liberally on all sides
- In a blender process the tomatillos, onion, garlic, chile, and cilantro on high speed until smooth.
- In a deep dutch oven or stew pot, sear the pork to brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Pour the sauce in the hot pan to deglaze the fond from the surface.
- Add the broth to the pan and place the meat back into the liquid. Seal tightly and simmer on medium-low for 1 hour.
- When the meat begins to pull apart, add the verdolagas. Cook until meat is easily pulled apart with a fork (about 30 min.)
Serve the stew in a bowl with black beans and flour tortillas grilled "ribeadades." Jamie Kelly is an American marketing professional turned gastronaut. She is eating her way through a full-spectrum exploration of food culture in Spanish-speaking lands and staging ambitious re-enactments of her finds in her own kitchen. To join the expedition, follow at FB: gastro-curious, IG: jamie_gastrocurious and www.gastro-curious.com.